SPRING 2021 UPDATE (Dec. 29, 2020)
Dear ECYSA Members,
The ECYSA Board met last week and we have updates to share about the Spring season. We are optimistic about playing a league season this spring but want to stress to each of you that things are still in flux and we are watching the federal and state guidelines for any changes that might impact our ability to play. So what is different this spring than from the fall?
- First, many towns and organizations had very successful fall seasons, followed the modifications of the game and the required mitigation and there were no known cases traced back to playing the game of soccer.
- Second, the EEA has removed the requirement for modifications to the game. This spring, if things don't change, we will be able to play the game of soccer as it is intended to be played. At present wearing masks is still required.
- Third, MA Youth Soccer has secured an insurance carrier that will include pandemic related claims in their Directors and Officers coverage. This new policy will be in place for January and will protect all of you who officially serve on your organization's boards.
- Fourth, the covid 19 vaccines have begun to be distributed and given. Phase Two is expected to begin in February and include K-12 educators and others in high contact positions. Phase Three, for the general public, is expected to begin in the late spring.
All of these factors give us a level of confidence to move forward with the planning for the spring season. We want to give our organizations as much time and flexibility as possible as they prepare for spring so we have set the following registration schedule for the Spring 2021 season.
- February 21st - Registration Opens (Additional Details will be emailed to you in early January)
- February 27th - Registration is DUE - Team Registration and Strength Charts submitted on Manage Your League
- March 6th - Player / Coach Cards and team packets to ECYSA Registrar
- TBA - Virtual Coaches Meeting
- April 10th - Opening Day
- June 14-20 - ECYSA Championship Tournament (IF ALLOWED)
- June 25-27 - MTOC (IF ALLOWED)
Also, as you plan for the spring remember that for this year we have extended the PG registration for one extra year. Players who have been out of HS for two years and meet the age requirements can play on the G12PG teams. We would ask that you be cognizant of the age and strength differences and work to not place younger high school students on the G12 PG teams.
We are excited about what the spring holds and our ability to organize a full league travel schedule.
Please let us know if you have additional questions as you plan. And don't forget to follow us on Facebook. HERE
Happy New Year,
Dean Sidell President,
HAPPY HOLIDAY !!
Wishing all our member players, families, coaches and officials a happy & healthy Holiday season from your Board of Directors at Essex County Youth Soccer Association. Essex County is looking forward to seeing everyone for Spring soccer and is actively planning a spring soccer season. Details on team registration for Travel Directors will be sent out in the next few weeks based on what we know now.
`ECYSA ANNUAL GERNERAL MEETING 2020
Dear ECYSA Members,
Thank you all who attended Wednesday's Annual General Meeting (AGM). For those who were not able to attend we have posted a version of the presentation on the website. See the link below.
On behalf of the ECYSA Board of Directors I want to thank you for your support and continued confidence in our leadership and the unanimous results of the elections at the AGM.
I also want to take this opportunity to welcome our newest members to the board. Amanada Laflamme, Keith Totten, Jeremy Derby and Sharon Clement. It is vital to have quality people stepping up to serve to keep ECYSA thriving.
The following were elected at the AGM
President: Dean Sidell ***
Vice President NS – Jill Thresher **
Secretary – Amanda LaFlamme *
Boys Commissioner: Kevin Brothers**
Education Director: Jose Isidro ***
G11-PG – Jen Houlihan ***
G8 B: Greg Buser **
G8 G – Keith Totten *
G6 B – Mike McGoldrick ***
G6 G – Jim Talbot ***
G4 B – Jeremy Derby *
G4 G – Charles Yorke **
The following At Large Directors were appointed by the board at our November meeting following the AGM
Jeff Chambers **
Michael Kilkelly ***
Sharon Clement *
Bob McGarvey **
In accordance with the bylaw amendment passed at the AGM the board appointed Justin Walters *** as ECYSA treasurer for a two year term.
The following continue to serve on the board in the second year of their elected terms:
VP NE - Bill Clark ***
Girls Commissioner - Dan Dailey ***
The following are three compensated non-voting roles who continue to serve ECYSA and advise the board:
Registrar, Janet Gargan
Referee Assignor, Ben Reed
Accountant, Jackie Chee
* New to ECYSA Board of Directors
** Prior Board Member in a new Board position
*** Prior Board Member in same Board position
As we communicated at the AGM the board continues to look at the possibilities for the spring. There are some encouraging signs. The EEA has lifted the requirements to implement the modifications to the game of soccer. We can now play the game as it is intended to be played but must wear masks at all times. There have been no outbreaks connected to soccer or other outdoor youth sports and MA Youth Soccer is working towards possible solutions to the liability coverage we lost over the summer.
But we know the winter will be a volatile time and we will need to stay flexible as we approach the spring. It is our intent to set a spring calendar including registration deadlines at our December meeting on the 21st. Following that meeting I will send another update.
Please let me know if you have questions or suggestions.
May you and yours have a Happy Thanksgiving and focus on all those things that we can be thankful for.
The link below is a presentation recap of the ECYSA AGM held November 11, 2020:
Fall 2020 Season Update
August 17, 2020
Dear ECYSA Members,
As promised, I want to give you an update on the results of tonight's ECYSA Board Meeting.
At tonight's meeting we discussed the 11 towns that had already opted out of fall travel season, additional towns still in consideration, and the impact of the 10 towns rated Red and Yellow in the Commonwealth's new ranking system. In addition, we reviewed feedback from some medical professionals, the trend of Covid-19 cases in Essex County, and the modifications to the game mandated by MA Youth Soccer.
All of these factors have led the board to the very difficult decision of not continuing with the planning and scheduling of the Fall 2020 ECYSA League Season.
We made this decision for a number of reasons:
- The increasing cases of covid 19 in Essex county
- The increasing number of ECYSA member towns rated Yellow and Red
- The decreased value of playing with the significant modifications to the game turning soccer into what one member described as "a game of keep away."
- The overall complexity of implementing and enforcing all of the mitigation and changes throughout the league.
Despite the reality of no ECYSA Fall Season there are still a number of options for you as an organization to provide a soccer experience for your players.
- Play all of your age groups as an in-town intramural program.
- Form a mini-league with towns close to you and play games against each other.
- Operate a series of Grade Group Soccer Clinics throughout the fall or weekly.
In any case or with any program you decide to run you will need to do the following:
- Complete the Adult Registration with Mass Youth Soccer for all adults in your program including all board members. This maintains your affiliation, Director and Officer, Cyber and Liability coverage.
- Register all players who will participate in programs this fall with Mass Youth Soccer.
- Incorporate all Mass Youth Soccer modifications into your games and scrimmages.
- Follow all other guidelines for practices and games contained within the Return to Play website of Mass Youth Soccer (https://www.mayouthsoccer.org/return-to-soccer-activities/).
In addition, if you wish to have certified referees at your games, one of the many referee assignors in ECYSA would be willing to assist you in assigning referees. (Ben Reed at firstname.lastname@example.org, Jeff Chambers at email@example.com, and Janet Gargan at firstname.lastname@example.org)
We will also be holding an open Zoom meeting for town organization administrators on Monday August 24 at 7:00 PM. Invite and RSVP will follow.
These last few months have been unprecedented for all of us and the Covid pandemic has impacted so many areas of our lives including this game we all love. It is disappointing that we will not be able to play out a normal league schedule this Fall, but our hope is that the limitations and mitigation we practice now will help make it possible to be back on the pitch in the Spring.
Thank you for all that you do to serve the players in your towns and organizations. Thank you for your support of ECYSA throughout this time.
I look forward to seeing many of you on Monday. Please know ECYSA is here to support you even as you finalize what you will do this Fall.
Take Care and Stay Safe,
ECYSA Town Hall - August 13, 2020
The link below is a video recording of the ECYSA Town Hall Meeting from August 12, 2020: